In-Game Moderators and More on the Site

If you have any ideas regarding improvements that can be done in the game, post them here! Developers read this section frequently.
Windance

In-Game Moderators and More on the Site

Post by Windance » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:42 am

I've noticed that it is a living hell on some of the servers due to no report system. I know that's being worked on, or hope it is. But on this site as well...I see people constantly breaking a very serious rule slapped at the top of some of the boards about harassment and treatment of others. And it seems like moderators don't log in consistently.

We either need more staff, or more active staff, because if that kind of motion continues things are going to snowball and sadly a community where no one really has power to do much can't exactly police themselves.
"When in doubt, panic because obviously that makes things totally better." -- My brain because it hates me

Mei

Re: In-Game Moderators and More on the Site

Post by Mei » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:49 pm

I couldn't agree more winddance.
Most days i log into the server to get this.

http://i.imgur.com/dr5ZtvH.png
http://i.imgur.com/1yynOW1.png
http://i.imgur.com/A5X97Az.png

I'm not trying to point fingers, but i'm constantly harassed by the higher levels ect lv 40s'. The server becomes toxic some days, if such a difference could be made i'm sure all of us would be thrilled :)

Calamity

Post by Calamity » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:37 pm

I've actually forethought about in-game moderation as well. I feel as if players with very inappropriate and childish names have been increasingly common too. I guess they might tire themselves out with the lack of attention.

heller

Post by heller » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:54 am

i understand that people would want in game mods you do see some creepy, innappropriate, creepy, trolish stuff sometimes (more often in co-op than in pvp) ...... however i dont think in game mods is practical here with all the different rooms and the number of players in each room limited...... i have played other games with in game mods before and they are more trouble than they are worth they favor their in game friends and ban the people they dont like and cause just as much drama as the trolls...... this game i think has done it as well as possible the comments in the shout box don't stay there very long so it's not very hard to ignore any nonsense that goes on....

Hellers honey

Post by Hellers honey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:45 pm

I agree with Heller too. Moderating the messages can breed more trolls...... peeps would troll the mods and more drama becomes of it. The messages disappear so quickly and there is also the option of turning the messages off ;) if you don't like what you see. I get annoyed by some of the rp that goes on in co op and occasionally the pvp but I just choose to ignore it completely or turn it off. Often times I am way too busy killing animals to notice the messages that come and go anyways :D Maybe filtering and moderating some of the names people use would be a good thing tho. I have seen some very racey (yet original) names that are definitely not appropriate for children to see.

...and please don't take ANY of my attacks in pvp personal folks :) I just like points lol

Calamity

Post by Calamity » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:35 am

heller wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:54 am
i understand that people would want in game mods you do see some creepy, innappropriate, creepy, trolish stuff sometimes (more often in co-op than in pvp) ...... however i dont think in game mods is practical here with all the different rooms and the number of players in each room limited...... i have played other games with in game mods before and they are more trouble than they are worth they favor their in game friends and ban the people they dont like and cause just as much drama as the trolls...... this game i think has done it as well as possible the comments in the shout box don't stay there very long so it's not very hard to ignore any nonsense that goes on....
To the contrary, I've seen in-game moderation done in similar games, and it has been reasonably proficient . ;)
We don't really know how "practical" it would be without it being implement or tested first. Sure, there may be controversial drama,
but there are certain behaviours that would obviously violate basic conduct. Besides, people could make an appeal using this forum, amongst other methods.
And ignoring can be difficult, especially since muting the chat closes it as a whole, disallowing you to interact with your friends due to one disruptive player. We always offer "ignoring" as an option, but it's not an actual solution, nor is it always a very viable option .

heller

Post by heller » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:31 am

well calamity the other game you played obviously had better mods than the other game i played....... :lol:

Windance

Post by Windance » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:06 am

Calamity wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:35 am
heller wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:54 am
To the contrary, I've seen in-game moderation done in similar games, and it has been reasonably proficient . ;)
We don't really know how "practical" it would be without it being implement or tested first. Sure, there may be controversial drama,
but there are certain behaviours that would obviously violate basic conduct. Besides, people could make an appeal using this forum, amongst other methods.
And ignoring can be difficult, especially since muting the chat closes it as a whole, disallowing you to interact with your friends due to one disruptive player. We always offer "ignoring" as an option, but it's not an actual solution, nor is it always a very viable option .
I actually was a mod on a similar game such as this, while there was no way to kick people out of the games. I'd just hop from server to server and peek a while. Break the TOS, you get written down and evaluated to see if you need to be suspended or banned. Doesn't matter if it's a "troll" or not. You're still subjecting others to it.
heller wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:31 am
well calamity the other game you played obviously had better mods than the other game i played....... :lol:
I'm not sure what games you've played...but most mmos are notorious for having a lack of moderation, especially free to play ones, since people use money on there and the creators are reluctant to lose sales. Something like this though, when it will obviously attract a younger dynamic as well, should have a type of report system implemented at least, and a way to block the person in chat so you can no longer see what they are saying. I've literally seen people sexually harassing minors on some servers. If issues like that are ignored, the creators of this game can become liable depending on the situation, especially if it doesn't have a mature rating or warnings attached.

TLDR: To keep this place approved for all ages, they have to have mods on the forums at the very least, a reporting and block system in-game, and make sure they have an obvious code of conduct that people have to agree to so they are no longer liable.

Sorry for blathering. I've seen games like this before and helped with one as it was made, and trust me, implementing these safeguards improved the game ten-fold.
"When in doubt, panic because obviously that makes things totally better." -- My brain because it hates me

heller

Post by heller » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:33 am

i wouldnt mention the other game i played windance it doesnt deserve any plublicity i will say honey and i had issues with the mods there abusing their power....doing bans and enforcing subjective rules against us that they did not enforce on anyone else it was so bad honey put in a payment dispute for the money shed spent on it with paypal and they actually refunded her money..... i probably should have done the same thing but i just wanted done with it and i was lucky enough to find this game...... you make many good points about why mods would be a good thing and i wouldnt argue with them i would just say that if they ever did put in game mods in the most important thing is they put in good non-biased ones who enforce the rules evenly because having bad mods is much worse than having none at all...for the players and the game...... the other game honey and i played lost two paying players because their mod was a biased #%*% *%#* lol