Q For Devs: Random Ports?

Everything about the game goes here, if it doesn't fit anywhere else!
ARROOOOO

Q For Devs: Random Ports?

Post by ARROOOOO » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:35 pm

As we all have seen there is a current scourge infecting gameplay, random ports a.k.a 'rp'.
From my observations this does nothing other than interrupt gameplay with annoying prompts.
It appears to me that the factors actually impacting spawn rates are the quantity and level of players in the map.

I have asked a few people why they're doing it, most don't even know why, just because everyone else is (yet will quickly jump to argue it's validity).. :roll:
Those that have a reason mostly say because it increases the spawning of prey, some saying it also increases the incidence of Champ prey.

So, a some questions for the Devs:
• Does making random ports where nobody uses them actually impact gameplay in any way at all?
• What are the actual factors that dictate spawn rates?
• Any other interesting gameplay metrics?

Happy hunting!
ARROOOOO!

Rogue

Re: Q For Devs: Random Ports?

Post by Rogue » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi!
To answer your questions:
  • No, it doesn't impact the gameplay.
  • Only the number of players and their average level impact the spawn rates.
  • Hopefully we'll be able to share more on that in the future :)

ARROOOOO

Post by ARROOOOO » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi Rogue,
Thanks for that, good to know my observations were correct. It just goes to show how easily and quickly pointless viral behaviour can spread..

In the interim I've been doing my own 'nrp' (non-random ports), though nobody seems to have caught on yet.. :lol:
Anyways, I'll spread the word and hopefully we can get ports back to being used what they're best at, pack hunting.. ;)

cheers, ARROOOOO!
(btw, I'd really love to be able to put an ! in my name in the game)
ARROOOOO!

ARROOOOO

Post by ARROOOOO » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Rogue wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:52 pm
Hi!
To answer your questions:
  • No, it doesn't impact the gameplay.
  • Only the number of players and their average level impact the spawn rates.
  • Hopefully we'll be able to share more on that in the future :)
Looks like some additional info will be required to convince people. You should see some of the arguments I've had just for suggesting rp's do nothing.
Some people even being immediately straight out abusive!
Funniest one was someone who was responding saying "who the hell is this "devs" person, and what do they know.."
After I explained it was short for developers they proceeded to argue that you are wrong.. :roll:

So, I'm hoping you can give some more specific details about prey spawning.
When you say "average level", for a map full of level 50 players is the average 50 as per the maximum displayed, or are you internally calculating player's true levels above that?
Is there a specific refresh cycle period when spawn rates are adjusted?
Do ports, whether used or unused, have any impact on gameplay?

A few other observations I've made, hopefully you can correct or expand upon:
• When many high level players leave a map, spawn rates don't appear to drop.
• The types of prey on a map are fixed and do not change.
• In spite of what you've said, it seems that spawn rates sometimes don't increase even when many level 50 players join the map.

I thought it would be interesting if you were to write some articles that cover technical topics like this.
ARROOOOO!

rain

Post by rain » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:17 am

I think the whole factor of rps is more for the players than the actual spawn rate of animals. When the spawn rate is at a low point, the rps kinda make the silence not as silent. I guess you could put it under the placebo effect. To those people being rude about it, they honestly just don't like to be wrong, or don't want that placebo effect to be ruined for them, because it helps them with their boredom. I would rather not bother them and let them do their thing. Some people chose to rp and some not and both are decisions that should be respected. Arguing over it won't help. It would only make them more resistant against what you prefer. But yea, no. Random ports don't impact the spawn level as Rogue said.

The ports, I believe, were introduced to allow the alpha to port for help. However, this feature is not used like that for higher levels, specifically lvl 50s, as they usually don't need help.

The whole rps thing came to the game around the time champs came out, when lvl 50s started to use ports more for sharing. When sharing occurred more often, it seemed that the rooms were more active and that there were more champs. So, the sound of a random port I guess took over the lack of random ports(for sharing).

Im guessing what they mean by
Only the number of players and their average level impact the spawn rates.
Average level refers to how many animals spawn in the map depending on the level range of the room. For instance, 30-50, 40-50, 45-50. I don't think the spawn rate considers something as specific as attributes and skills, just like team balance.

At the moment, spawn rates are still not perfectly correlated to the players, despite what is said. Take rooms with a range of lvl 50-50 for example. While newer lvl 50 players may find a slower rate fine with them, a lvl 50 who has higher attributes may not find the same satisfactions. If there are less players in a room, spawn rate shouldn't be uneven either. If the player is 20k, they can kill everything that gives high points/coins and have to wait for more animals for a long period of time. Spawn rate is still something that needs to be changed. It should be constant. Now, the reason I bring this up is: if you find rps annoying, then spawn rate should be constant to prevent these random interruptions that soothe a players boredom.

I'm fine with the fixed types of animals in rooms. They're all usually sorted into strengths which gives players choice about which rooms they prefer.
cyne; rain

ARROOOOO

Post by ARROOOOO » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:10 pm

I guess I just prefer to not see pointless actions perpetuated through ignorance.

All I know is that when I started playing virtually all ports served a purpose and now it's the opposite, for no reason.
ARROOOOO!

Wuf

Post by Wuf » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:49 pm

RPs let players know there is not a champ at the other end of the port. Some players get angry when they follow a champless port, especially if they had to go a long distance. Although I do sometimes feel the RPs are "fake"--i.e. there really is a champ and the alpha just wants to invite their friends--RPs do serve a purpose.

Reasons to use RPs:
One. Alpha is hunting with a pack and one of the members dies. By sending an RP, that wolf can rejoin easily.
Two. Someone just joining the room can get access to a distant area quickly.
Three. When I am alpha and my health is low, I sometimes RP, port to the home cave to heal, and then return to my original spot. Sometimes I use another alpha's ports for the same purpose if the port is located in an area I would not mind checking out.
Four. Some isolated areas take a long time to get to (and are dead ends.) Frequent ports allow players to access another area if they so choose. A quick look at the master map and you can tell from where the port originates.

I don't find ports that distracting. Whenever I hear a call, I look at the chat to see why. I never answer answer if the alpha does not specify (unless I want to go there anyway.) My biggest beef would be alphas that say nothing or say only "champ." There is a big difference between a komodo dragon champ and a cc.