Game Chat Needs To Be Moderated? Vote and Discuss.

Everything about the game goes here, if it doesn't fit anywhere else!

Should the game chat be moderated in some form? Please read through this entire thread before voting

Yes. The devs should consider moderating the chat to ensure a safer environment within the game. The devs chose to implement the chat, so it’s their responsibility to moderate that chat.
58%
No. They should just focus on improving other aspects of the game. Social issues are our problems.
42%

Total votes: 33

Unrealisation

Re: Do you think a report button is needed in this game? (Vote and discuss!)

Post by Unrealisation »

WhiteMist wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:08 am
I want to say yes, but I know people will abuse the button and overwhelm the developers. I think there needs to be A LOT of admin who can play and watch for abusive behavior. Personally I’m tired of being called slxt, hxe, bxtch, fxggot, cxnt, stupid, ugly, fat, dyxe, and being told multiple times to kill myself because I’m a lesbian or just simply because I’m a woman.
Every woman here knows what it’s like dealing with abusive men on the game. Women too. I get threatened because some girl thinks I’m hitting on her “man” just cause I’m striking up conversation and hellllloo......I’m a lesbian. People are yelling at each other because of what country they live in, what religion they practice and what color they are.
There are CHILDREN on this game.....children who may have a hard home life or suffer from depression and all these bullies are doing is making it worse.
People can be SO RUDE......that they will call you names just because you read the chat and just wanted to join the conversation. It could’ve been about the weather and someone will be like “uhhh....were we talking to you bxtch?”. Seriously?

Reporting buttons will be overused. We all know it. We need trusted people in there who are admins undercover and are watching for real bullying.....not just shxt talking, but the “you should kill yourself” type of talking. Calling people the n-word and such. Or calling someone a terrorist because they live in a Middle Eastern country.

I personally don’t mind if admin would be in there spying on users because I am not someone who would hurt someone like that.
If you’re innocent, you got nothing to fear.
Thank you for sharing, WhiteMist. Your post helped me improve my line of questioning for the poll. It’s now updated.
тнε ωσℓғ sιηcε ησv 2017

PharaohSabre

Re: Do you think a report button is needed in this game? (Vote and discuss!)

Post by PharaohSabre »

This is 100% needed because The Wolf's playerbase is toxic. I mean, Chernobyl levels of toxic. Here's a list of things I've had said to me in-game just this week.

"Ur trash weak c*nt"
-For using the howl home button once. Was targeted and cussed at the rest of the game

"Aww leave lil baby"
-For "dying too much" in a room that was slightly too strong for me (I was there by choice)

"Stay off my kills weak bxtch"
-For "Stealing" 🙄 an animal.

And the list goes on. I've seen so many racist, sexist, xenophobic, anti-lgbt comments from the people that play this game that it literally feels like 1962. There are older men that use this game to groom children. The mute option will not fix this. When one child mutes them they move on to another more vulnerable one. On top of that, people are getting doxxed and women are having their nudes leaked over drama that started IN-GAME. There are screenshots of people talking about how they've leaked people's sexual photos without permission and threatening to R*PE people.This is all because we have such an easily bypassed chat censor with no way of reporting it. There is screenshot proof and people have their IDs but nothing is ever done about these players because it seems like no matter how much attention is drawn to it Swiftapps only responds to reports of hackers.

There needs to be a system that allows players not to report the player themselves, but to report individual messages in chat and private messages and their senders to a moderator. That way the moderator has to decide if the person reported is worth punishing and the feature can't be abused. If the message is deemed inappropriate or obscene that user gets added to a strike list. A certain about of strikes per week results in a temporary ban from using the chat (one week). Getting three of these chat bans results in removal of PM privileges for a short time in addition to public chat bans. Too many of those should result in suspension from the game entirely for... A month? Is that overdoing it? Anyway enough suspensions should result in a permanent ban. There should also be a system keeps a record of the chat log after the end of each game (when the room empties) for examination by a moderator. The Moderator will then sift through these logs and add the offending messages to the aforementioned strike list.

Something needs to be done about this and quickly because the longer Swiftapps deliberately ignores these issues the more children and victimized adults they put at risk.
Last edited by PharaohSabre on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Original Champion Thief

Shad

Re: Game Chat Needs To Be Moderated? Vote and Discuss.

Post by Shad »

There should have been one from the get-go, but only used for serious offences like exploitation of glitches etc. Mute button is enough for toxicity, because if they starting banning people for being toxic, there goes like 90% of the player base.

Unrealisation

Post by Unrealisation »

Shad wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:53 am
There should have been one from the get-go, but only used for serious offences like exploitation of glitches etc. Mute button is enough for toxicity, because if they starting banning people for being toxic, there goes like 90% of the player base.
I agree, it should only be used for the actions as stated in the terms of service, which I had listed a few posts up. If people curse or just being toxic and not targeting anyone on the basis of their religion, race, ethnicity, sexual preference, and gender identification, then it shouldn't be used because trash-talking is common, especially in online multiplayer game chats. People can just mute the trash talkers. However, discriminatory comments towards a person because of one or multiple aspects of their identity should not be tolerated. Especially comments that tell someone to commit suicide and sexual predators, as PharaohSabre stated above. I'm not so bothered by profanities as much as I am bothered by hate speech, cyberbullying, and sexual predators.
тнε ωσℓғ sιηcε ησv 2017

Unrealisation

Post by Unrealisation »

More thoughts for today:

In a perfect world, because most online games come with a “report player” function, every player would use the feature properly and games would be played in harmony. In reality, most players don’t report misbehavior because many game moderators/developers are slow to take action, which leads people to stop reporting. As a result, online games become home to unsportsmanlike behavior and vulgar language. The toxicity can become so unbearable that users stop playing competitively, only play with friends or drop the game altogether. It’s a sad reality, but for years it’s been the status quo. We also have to consider that there's a small team of developers and moderators running this game. So to moderate the chat, they would probably have to hire more people, which means more work. Swift Apps have to be careful about how they handle reported cases, and they have to remain open to criticism about the systems they implement (if they ever implement).

What is the "ideal" censoring system?
From my point of view, it's one that does not ruin basic communication in-game, censoring only the necessary words and different ways it can be written (example: word, w ord, wor d, w0rd, w o r d, W O R D). Because people can just put one or a couple spaces in between the letters of a cuss word, the current censoring system in the wolf fails to do its job.

Furthermore, for those of us that speak multiple languages, it's a small inconvenience to have certain words in a foreign language be filtered when it's not bad. The chat censoring system would put asterisks in words that are actually not offensive. King, queen, raven, and cookie are just a few examples.
тнε ωσℓғ sιηcε ησv 2017

SnoDragon

Post by SnoDragon »

I’m not sure if my post can be seen, but I’ll share what I think; so many people have been getting harassed for not following the ‘rules’ or what the community decides is cheating. A couple days ago I ran into a severely toxic person who once killed, would friend the person and say really terrible things. I’ve seen so many people get harassed for what race, ethnicity, preferred pronouns, sexuality, being part of LGBTQIA+ community, including myself. I feel it would make a lot of people feel safer if there were a report button/ moderators in game. There is still the issue of swift having to hire more people, and this is a big one. Many people would have to be hired for the amount of toxic players that seem to frequently use bad language/assault people on the previous things said in this post. Me being someone who isn’t the strongest emotionally can really get hurt by these people, and I know others can be too. It would most likely make the game feel more safe if they had more, I dunno, guidelines and maybe moderators. Sorry if you were confused while reading this, I’m not the best with words ^-^
Dragon is yes

Player002

Post by Player002 »

My opinion They should just get rid of the chat option or make it so only certain prefixed things can be said only way for people to talk would be through pms. Would be much more peaceful the people who take game kik an instagram that’s not really the games fault no where have I seen them encourage people to make there own packs on kik or encourage this whole “mate” concept. Having the chat moderated seems like a bad idea to me unless it’s someone who doesn’t play wolf from the dev team. Others would definitely abuse the power to take out people they don’t like.

Wouldn’t wolf be so much better without a chat.

Vixen303

Post by Vixen303 »

I’ve read these replies and the original post with interest. I can see that every reporting system would have its flaws but I feel at the very least there should be better censoring not least because so many of the players on these servers are children. Until recently I had only seen some minor unpleasantness on the chat but I just came out of a pvp room where someone used the n word aggressively against a player on the other team (achieving it by using spaces). I told them I was absolutely disgusted and left the room immediately after screenshooting the chat. Not that I have any idea what I could usefully do with the screenshot and I expect my teacher-like reprimand will have rolled completely off the back of the offending player. That kind of thing just shouldn’t be possible to type in the first place.

Unrealisation

Post by Unrealisation »

Vixen303 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:39 pm
I’ve read these replies and the original post with interest. I can see that every reporting system would have its flaws but I feel at the very least there should be better censoring not least because so many of the players on these servers are children. Until recently I had only seen some minor unpleasantness on the chat but I just came out of a pvp room where someone used the n word aggressively against a player on the other team (achieving it by using spaces). I told them I was absolutely disgusted and left the room immediately after screenshooting the chat. Not that I have any idea what I could usefully do with the screenshot and I expect my teacher-like reprimand will have rolled completely off the back of the offending player. That kind of thing just shouldn’t be possible to type in the first place.
Perhaps what needs to be implemented is not a reporting system, but a better censoring system, one that is so good that you can’t write a bad word in 5-10 different ways? That censoring system would also need to detect phrases like telling someone to commit suicide, sexual and discriminatory comments or hate speech. Basically trying to prevent these things in the first place rather than dealing with the aftermath (reported cases)?
тнε ωσℓғ sιηcε ησv 2017

KJtheWolf

Post by KJtheWolf »

i feel at least there should be a possibility of a option say like I screenshot the inappropriate chat and report the player and then the player gets some warning at least right. But it is our problem I agree but it's like you need some rules and someone who oversees it. It is not a big problem but it's better to have a community that is healthy and friendly especially when the game also have a tons of players under 14.

but also don't overdo it because a lot of times it really is situational and really depends on the vibes going on. Like sometimes if I just play with my good friends and we just say stuff like oh you suck and stfu or fck off, but none of those are really malevolent in that particular context because we know we are just joking around. So my suggestion is just that you don't have to make the chat box really hard to use by auto asterisk those words because that is an infinite procedure to filter out what is an likely close to uncountably many words and people still gonna figure out ways to type it out anyways.