Upcoming Balance Changes - The Wolf 1.10

All important updates and information about The Wolf.
TinyPapillon

Re: Upcoming Balance Changes - The Wolf 1.10

Post by TinyPapillon »

So I know a decent amount of us who are mad about VS. I’m frustrated that they didn’t tell us. Some people bought gems with real money to get it before the price increased. Basically those of us who have done that get scammed, as well as those who have spent a long time upgrading it. What’s the point of getting it, and making it super expensive if it doesn’t stack damage? Stacking damage is what made VS well VS. I personally spent a little bit of money on it but I wish I had known they were going to nerf it— what a waste. Communication is key and they didn’t do that. I also think it’s a little late to nerf it without making players mad. What I’m mainly angry about is the lying and deceit. VS isn’t helpful anymore, you can’t kill big animals the way you used to be able to. I get that it was a powerful skill but isn’t there a way to compromise? Please?

Now that out of the way the update isn’t too bad. The new levels make me want to coop more, and the new skills seem okay. The update as a whole is okay.

Don’t get me wrong, you all work hard and you seem to want to do what’s best for everyone. Isn’t there a way to compromise?
~ Tiny

Barabole

Post by Barabole »

Before the update, I was a 3k was attack level in the 200s. After the update, my health stayed the same (it is below level 50), and my attack went up to the 270s. I gave this update a try, and here are my thoughts:

-----

Starting with the good:

Quick skill selection: this is great. Nothing bad to say about this.

New skills: while I have not bought any of them, I am seeing people use and enjoy them. Maybe there is some repetition on former skills, but that is fine to me. They still look interesting.

Increasing the maximum level: I think this is alright. People really like new maps, and to continue the pattern of a new map opening every ten levels, we will need a higher maximum level. While this may not seem necessary now, I imagine this is preparation for additional maps.

-----

And for the bad:

Nerffing Venomous Skin: I think enough have complained about this that whatever I have to say has already been said. I am not someone who has ever used this skill, but you upset many people by nerffing it, and many more by lying when you said you would not nerf it.

Combat-Power-based matchmaking: this is awful.

When this update was announced, I thought I would get stuck in the pup rooms. And sure enough, I am in the weakest rooms. Before the update, my critical was 12k. The update raised that to 18k. And the highest health I have seen so far has been 11k, so... my higher critical does not mean much.

Because I am so small, any friend stronger than me cannot join me. However, it seems I can join all but one friend (and that one depends on the room--most I cannot join, but some I can). I understand why this was done: a 40k cannot enter the weakest room on an invite and terrorize everyone. Regardless, I do not like my friends being unable to join me. I imagine this will be especially sad for those high health players with small pups--they can never join their pups.

As I said in my post before: the only reason Combat-Power-based matchmaking makes sense is because of the raised attack and health. Those two come hand-in-hand. But raising the attack and health was not necessary. We get stronger but it is easier to get there--they cancel out.

This Combat-Power-based matchmaking was supposed to help balance out the power, but from what I have heard, this does not seem to be the case. Before, I had plenty of friends who could easily be the strongest in their rooms. Someone stronger may join, but that is random chance. But because the level 50+ rooms are now divided by Combat Power, it seems many of those friends are now often the weakest in their rooms, and they are struggling. I have friends telling me there are multiple 40ks denning them, or, because they are recognized as being weaker, they are imidiately targetted.

That was never the case before because all extremes were could join the same room (pups and 30ks), and there was a very big area in the middle. Those in the middle could be the strongest in some rooms and the weakest in others. But my dividing the level 50+ rooms, you have created even more extremes, making it even easier to bully... if that makes sense.

It was easy to kill me before the update. With my health the exact same as before, I am an even easier target. Before, I was decent in war--I even received a few invites--but now, if I join one of my stronger friends and there is a war, I feel bad staying. While I want to play with them and help them, I am completely useless in those rooms. If I am on their team, I can only be a spot block, which I never do.

With that being said, in these pup rooms I am stuck in, it seems I am one of the strongest. But out of every single room I have joined, only one actually had war. It seems war is scarce in these lower rooms, and if a fight breaks out, I feel bad joining because I can kill them all.

It had always been my goal to be one of the strongest 3ks, but because this update makes health very important, it seems that will be impossible. I will be stuck in these pup rooms unless I just so happen to get my CP to the next level, but if that happens I will forever be a target unless I increase my health.

It really seems like everything I have worked for has been for nothing.

-----

When defence was increased to level 65, there were many complaints. When new things are implemented, there will always be complaints. And after people had time to experience it, they got used to it and stopped complaining.

But this seems completely different. Basically everything has been changed for the worse, to the point where I cannot see this as the same game I used to find fun. And it is a tragedy--this was a really good game. The PvP part was not broken, and we did not need 450 additional levels. More maps or more animals would be nice, or smaller things that make game-play more convenient, like the quick skill selection. Those kinds of updates would be really nice. But this... is just a mess.

It seemed to me like the main objective was to please the weaker players because they were complaining about being bullied. This update sure fixed that... war is very hard to find in these pup rooms. And bullying has been moved to the higher rooms.

-----

The way I see it, the only thing that can make this game decent again is if the update is reversed. Well, I have seen no complaints about the quick skill select. The additional levels and new skills also make sense. But the things every single person seems to be complaining about (the Combat-Power-based matchmaking, the higher health and attack that only make sense with the new matchmaking, and the nerffed Venomous Skin) are definitely not benefits. I am sure you spent time progaming and experimenting with these new aspects of the game, and reversing it may seem like a waste of your time, but... that is how many players on your game are feeling right now. All the time and money they spent are wasted.

Being a 3k is not impressive now. It is awful. But in case you do decide to listen to these complaints and reverse anything, I will still not increase my health. I will decide that if I reach level 70. I may just be a 3k--not an important or recognized player--however, I do think leaving the game seems like a better option. I did really like this game, but this is not the game I once knew.

(And my apologies for the length of this post... I think it would be best to go out saying all I have to say.)

Shad

Post by Shad »

So many rooms were empty today. Never seen it like this before.

TW-2017

Post by TW-2017 »

PharaohSabre wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:14 am
Before I begin let me just say the amount of nitpicking and complaining on this thread is highly unnecessary. I'm still battling to accept the fact that some of you are adults. Attribute prices went down. You got compensated for the additional levels. Must you cry about everything Swiftapps tries to do? So many good things are coming with this update but forget that right? It's much more satisfying to sit around and pick apart all of their efforts. You already bullied them out of patching your precious air hit glitch and keeping the interruption feature of traps which completely ruined the strategic nature of their use. What else do you want? At the end of the day Swiftapps is a company. Companies have to make money. Therefore they have to worry about what their future player base may want just as much as you lot that are already here. Can you show just a little bit of maturity? Please?

I would have suggested is making the attribute compensations optional, just in case some players had a certain HP/Attack level they would prefer to stay on. Something like an "Are you sure?" notification, a one time decision with a yes/no option to tap to accept or reject the compensations (Separately for health and attack, of course). It makes no real difference to me because if a 20k becomes 30k and I (10k) become 15k, I'm still relatively the same size I ever was in relation to them, but with a LOT less pushback from coop animals. But it would have been nice for other players to have the option.

Other than that the update seems fine and dandy to me but what's going on with PvP? It's outright refusing to let people join their friends if the CP counter is red. You said there would be changes made to allow people to join their friends. What's going on?
The only problem I have is that they're making skills that WE PAID for out of our own pockets weaker. Do you think that's NITPICKING? Or when they weakened other skills like shield without even announcing it? When they removed airbite after THEY STATED they would leave it be 'for now'. We have the right to share our feelings, WE PAY FOR THE SKILLS. WE SPEND HOURS IN COOP to achieve where we need to be. You have your opinion, we have ours. The only good thing about this update is the level increase and max attributions. Everything else is pure garbage. The "new skills" are reused from the tiger. Where is the creativity in all this? I understand companies have to make money, but is reducing the gem rewards on champs necessary? Definitely not, they weren't even that high before this update. As I said, all I care about is getting Venom skin, The skill I paid $300-$400 DOLLARS TO MAX, back.

Yellowstonepuppy

Post by Yellowstonepuppy »

TW-2017 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:34 pm
I understand companies have to make money, but is reducing the gem rewards on champs necessary? Definitely not, they weren't even that high before this update. As I said, all I care about is getting Venom skin, The skill I paid $300-$400 DOLLARS TO MAX, back.
In PVP, the VS is unaffected… and they did not decrease any of the skills you would normally use. Most if not all appear to be exactly the same as before except there are a few that appear stronger

Wuf

Post by Wuf »

Why do I play this game? The carrot is that I will someday be able to kick the butt of prey that used to kick mine. It is as simple as that. I grind away to earn gems to gain those last few very expensive levels on spells that, when you really think about it, don’t add that much. Fifty percent added to 500% is a 10% change. But three 50% increases is noticeable.

Attack is similar. Four points of damage added to 500 is minuscule. But after I’ve earned that 4 points 25 times, I start to see something. I keep chipping away, until one day I decide to take on a critter I have always avoided and I take it down. And gradually, the list of prey I avoid gets smaller and smaller.

It is a game of slow payoffs.

This is what I want from an update. I do not want to lose progress. I don’t care what the numbers are. You can say my attack is 5 and my health is 3.62 if you want. But if I could easily conquer certain prey, I should still be able to handle it after the update.

This update is only a day in, but I am not sure that is the case. It is difficult to tell. Some prey is larger, but my attack is greater. Some prey that I used to be able to easily kill with only freezing breath now requires the addition of damage boost. Though my health is greater, I find myself nearly depleted after attacks that used to be routine. I’m not really sure how things will be in the long run.

But one thing I am sure about. I do not gain points as quickly. I couldn’t figure out why, until I noticed that some prey does not yield the points it used to. This was most apparent with Ligers, whose yield appears to be halved. But points were also nerfed on wild yaks, white rhinos, brown ox, sabers, and probably all the other very large prey. A selling point on the attack/health reconfiguration is that upgrade costs are now lower. But if we get fewer points for prey, there is really no change. The time invested to gain the update will not change. It might even be a step backward. My gut so far is it takes as long to earn 2 million points in the new update as it took to earn 3.5 million before.

Why would the developers do this? Obviously for money. Levels are actually cheaper now in terms of real money. Some players will opt to buy their levels rather than grind them out. There is nothing wrong with a product merchandiser wanting to earn money. But it does seem disingenuous to hide what appears to be a very impactful change under the guise of a positive re-balancing effort.

As I said, it will take me a while to really come up with an opinion on the update. I feel initially cautious. I know I do not like the loss of coins. I was getting bummed at how long new levels were taking me. Though they are cheaper now, I do not foresee any change.

On the plus side, I like the skill toggle. That was one of my suggestions, though I am by no means taking credit. Just pointing out that I was actually hoping for such an option.

One final thing. I have been unable to find a 40/50 game on Mammoth Creek. Maybe I’ve just been unlucky. If so, no harm. But I will be very disappointed if it is no longer an option. I do not want to spend all my time passing up Mammoths and Black Auros.

3shaq

Post by 3shaq »

Yellowstonepuppy wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:21 pm
TW-2017 wrote:
I understand companies have to make money, but is reducing the gem rewards on champs necessary? Definitely not, they weren't even that high before this update. As I said, all I care about is getting Venom skin, The skill I paid $300-$400 DOLLARS TO MAX, back.
In PVP, the VS is unaffected… and they did not decrease any of the skills you would normally use. Most if not all appear to be exactly the same as before except there are a few that appear stronger
Did you try skill vs or are you just talking

TW-2017

Post by TW-2017 »

Yellowstonepuppy wrote:
TW-2017 wrote:
VS is affected. You can no longer stack the skill. You just poison the enemy once. Not like before.

MUIEPSD

Post by MUIEPSD »

Yellowstonepuppy wrote:

VS not affected in pvp? I don't think you know what you're talking about. VS works the same in co-op and pvp

TW-2017

Post by TW-2017 »

MUIEPSD wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:22 pm
Yellowstonepuppy wrote:

VS not affected in pvp? I don't think you know what you're talking about. VS works the same in co-op and pvp
I am deeply saddened about what they have done to VS. It is literally the weakest skill now. I understand it may have been too overpowered but now it is literally garbage. I don't think they knew what they were doing when they did this. My Venom skin and damage boost are max, but my venom skin only does 15k now. How do you think I can go against 60k hps? It's ridiculous that venom skin only does about 14-15k and its MAX. I'm just trying to say that you guys didn't just weaken the skill, you made it completely useless. :roll:
Last edited by TW-2017 on Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.