The Update 1.8.1 :)

Everything about the game goes here, if it doesn't fit anywhere else!
Taho

The Update 1.8.1 :)

Post by Taho » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:48 pm

Long time i write here.. :)

Just to say i like this new update... Not only for those quests things but mainly i love the "chat" line that is not limited to just a few words. I hope some low minded players wont use this amelioration for bad purpose. But since people are people, its life.. :roll:

About recent game play by even long time players.. I still dont like those alphas calling RP everywhere for nothing. (Thinking it do that or that). Its so a lost of time. Anyway urban legends are there to stay. Perso i do RP only near an high or low champ. Hitting them until "half health" and go away (or stay to green shields new players). That way i get the max gems and other players can get as much gems, i guess.

Sorry for my english.. And GG to "devs", staff, etc.. :)
Quebec, Canada, Sol III

Wuf

Re: The Update 1.8.1 :)

Post by Wuf » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:23 am

I'm mixed on the update, but here are some initial thoughts.

CHAT
1. The new fonts are nice. I personally don't care, as I use an English keyboard and type in English, so no change for me. But half the people in the rooms I've joined have had names utilizing the new fonts. Not having the same keyboard, I am unable to address them by name. I have been in rooms that had a very good sense of community, which made those games very enjoyable. I think it will be more difficult to develop this if you can't talk to people, and I think that is unfortunate.

2. I like the ability to type a longer message. Kudos on that.

3. I hate the new keyboard. The autocorrect is insufferable. I don't want to spend all my time typing and editing my statements. I was constantly saying things I didn't mean because the keyboard thinks for me. I KNOW what I want to say. My purpose in playing the game is to hunt, and communication is a secondary concern that needs to be expedient and accurate. Much of the communication in the game involves abbreviations and chat speak, and autocorrect wreaks havoc on that. Also, I kept saying additional things I did not intend because it is more difficult to cancel a statement. Maybe it's just different. But I don't like that change either. My vote is keep the long message, return the old keyboard. Or find a way to dumb the new one down.

PREY DISTRIBUTION
It appears that now all prey are available in every room instead of just the 3 or 4 of each size that used to be available. I’m not sure that is an improvement. I used to search for a room that had the right mix of prey. If I wanted coins, I didn’t want a room full of komodo dragons and white ravens. Likewise, if I wanted gems, I didn't want a room full of elephants and aurochs (which offer great gems, but so infrequently it is not worth banking on that occurrence.) Also, I use different spells to hunt different prey. Spell change is not fast on an ipad (hint: next update maybe try a hot button) and the huge prey mix makes the game cumbersome.

PREY LOCATION
Certain spots used to be only habitable by certain prey. For instance, you would never find a bird in a cave, and you would never find a wolverine in the water. If you had birds, aurochs and elephants in your game, you would not find any large prey in a cave, under the tree on the ramp, or on the bridge. Probably other places as well. Now it appears everything goes. Theoretically this is good, as there is now no reason for a prey location to be empty, except for…

SPAWN RATE and CHAMPS
My first impression is that the spawn rate is much slower. I’m not sure if you will be able to work a location in this new update (kill all the prey to get the champs that eventually spawn.) The champs were very limited as well. My fear is that the developers have lowered the gem availability from game play in preference to offering gems through quests. Makes a little sense, but for a high level player, that is not a good trade.

GOALS
Hard to say, as it is still too new. This looks like it could be fun, but one thing I have come to dislike is games that force me to log in every day to stay reasonably competitive. I hope this does not go there. In defense of the update, I did like that I had the ability to skip a quest I did not want to do. (I do not pvp. I am not interested in that aspect of gameplay.) As long as skipping remains possible, goals are a fine addition. UNLESS, as I mentioned earlier, the champ drop rate has been reduced to compensate.

I have only played this new update for a couple hours, and it looked like most of my games were newer games (which in the past had an effect on the spawn rate). So I don’t really know how things will pan out in the long term. Hopefully well.

yakuza

Post by yakuza » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:50 pm

Wuf wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:23 am
3. I hate the new keyboard. The autocorrect is insufferable. I don't want to spend all my time typing and editing my statements. I was constantly saying things I didn't mean because the keyboard thinks for me. I KNOW what I want to say. My purpose in playing the game is to hunt, and communication is a secondary concern that needs to be expedient and accurate. Much of the communication in the game involves abbreviations and chat speak, and autocorrect wreaks havoc on that. Also, I kept saying additional things I did not intend because it is more difficult to cancel a statement. Maybe it's just different. But I don't like that change either. My vote is keep the long message, return the old keyboard. Or find a way to dumb the new one down.
I'm confused a bit honestly when it comes to issues with "new" keyboard. Actually it's simply native keyboard popping out to let you type. So if you don't like auto correction you may disable it in system/keyboard settings. Other people complain about size of keyboard - again I cannot say for iOS, but because it's native keyboard on Android (at least using SwiftKey) you may configure it to be whatever size you want. Be it full width or anywhere you want:
Screenshot_20191207-233838.png
Screenshot_20191207-233838.png (212.94 KiB) Viewed 168 times
Please let me know what else you miss from old keyboard. Knowing that we may come up with better solution to keyboard concerns.
/Y

Wolf #1826083

Wuf

Post by Wuf » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:23 pm

yakuza wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:50 pm
Please let me know what else you miss from old keyboard. Knowing that we may come up with better solution to keyboard concerns.
First off, I realize it is just the standard keyboard, but it has newly become the standard keyboard in The Wolf game. I also realize I can change it, but then my change is for all apps. Some of the features I want when I am doing other things. I don't want to have to keep switching back and forth between keyboards.

I miss the simplicity of the old keyboard. I was in the game to play, not to chat. If I had a communication, it needed to be quick and easy. The old keyboard was simple and did not have as many features. But you didn't need them.

One specific thing I miss is one-key punctuation for "?" and "!". This is the only punctuation that is really necessary in messages, and having to press the shift key to type these characters is a pain. This probably would not be bad on a real keyboard, but that is because typing is not bad on a real keyboard.

When you type a message you can't do anything else. If you can't do so quickly, you may die before you get the last word out.

Thanks for the response. Interesting that this is the only part you commented on.

yakuza

Post by yakuza » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:22 pm

Wuf wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:23 pm
I don't want to have to keep switching back and forth between keyboards.
I understand your point, but just to be clear - it's the same keyboard I use everywhere, it's just you may undock (two taps) it or dock it again with swipe. Anyway - I don't want to convince you that our decision was the one and only, just as a hint that keyboards are to some degree configurable which may soften pain until we decide ultimate solution to this problem.
Wuf wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:23 pm
Thanks for the response. Interesting that this is the only part you commented on.
That's topic on which I had some constructive feedback. Other topics are either well covered elsewhere or we have not yet decided what will be next steps.
/Y

Wolf #1826083

Wuf

Post by Wuf » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:25 am

yakuza wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:22 pm
Other topics are either well covered elsewhere or we have not yet decided what will be next steps.
Do tell. Where? I am mystified that chat on the new update has been so minimal. I know players are not universally overjoyed. There must be another forum of which I am unaware. The update has certainly not been well-covered here. I was hoping to add to or start a discussion.

Wuf

Post by Wuf » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:28 am

Never mind, I found it. People do not post topics in the category where they make sense to me. Not sure who that is most telling of, me or the others.

Thank you for your last reply.

Taho

Post by Taho » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:55 pm

There's like only 4 sections to posts things..

The Wolf talk, Support, Suggestions and well, Creative content..

I guess next time, i'll post only in the Support section since no Complaining section exist. ;)
Quebec, Canada, Sol III